11.26.2012

Grateful.


I think if I had to use one word to describe how I've felt the past few months it would be grateful. Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday in my married years. It's spent with those you love the most, expressing gratitude for the many blessings we have, all while sitting together eating a warm meal. I have much to be grateful for. I've reflected on this idea of gratitude a lot over the past little while. It's come up many times, and on many occasions its brought me to tears. I'm just an emotional wreck lately, I'm going to go ahead and blame those emotions on my mom, and she'll be okay with it because she'd agree.

I'm grateful for Curtis, for his willingness to be patient with me. For his talents and strengths that make up for my faults. I'm grateful for the time and effort he puts into every single day. He's productive and inspiring in many ways. I don't think I would be doing what I'm doing or striving to do new things if it wasn't for the example Curtis has set. He's aways striving to succeed, and work hard, and I hope that continues to rub off on me. He's supportive and kind, helpful and excited. He's my number one advocate. He has worked hard for everything he has, and he has always been an example of ambition for me. If Curtis wants something he's going to work hard to ensure it happens.

I remember one night over the Summer, there I was feeling sorry for myself (why must us girls have moments like this? Emotions running haywire, bless those who put up with us). It had been one of those days, or maybe even one of those weeks. I was upset, and tired and frustrated. Curtis said something that really suck with me, he told me if I wasn't satisfied with my life, than it was my job to make a change. That I can't expect the life I wanted to just fall into my lap without working a second to get there. He reminded me that anyone who has done anything successful has worked tirelessly to get there. He really gave me the push I needed to make a change, and I'm a happier person for it. I'm a more productive person.

I'm grateful for my family, for their friendships and for the love they continually show. I'm grateful for my little brother Ben who is serving a mission in Russia and is one of the most positive people I know. He gave away his coat to a missionary who was less fortunate and didn't have a coat. This small act was so sweet, and so Ben. He'd give anything off his back without thinking a second thought about it. Each and every member of my family on both my side and Curtis' side are sincere and loving people and I feel very lucky to call them my own.

I'm grateful for the gospel in my life, for where it's taken me. I couldn't be more grateful for it. It's funny how your life just sort of turns out how it was always intended to. Things and people are put in your path for a certain purpose, whether that purpose becomes a blessing or a trial, its a learning experience and a hidden blessing regardless.

I'm grateful that Christmas is coming, I love this time of year. Happy belated Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I love this so much Ashley. I had chills reading it. and had to read it again. So beautifully written.